June 8, 2021: Colonial Pipeline, Guatemala, shooting of 6-year-old, truck attack and hi-tech sting
Reuters, 08 Jun 2021
Five stories to know for June 8: Colonial Pipeline, Guatemala, shooting of 6-year-old, truck attack and hi-tech sting
1. The Justice Department recovered some $2.3 million in cryptocurrency ransom paid by Colonial Pipeline, cracking down on hackers who launched the most disruptive U.S. cyberattack on record.
2. U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris said she had “robust” talks with Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei on the need to fight corruption to help deter undocumented immigration from Central America to the United States.
3. Authorities in California said they had arrested two people expected to be charged with murder over the death of 6-year-old Aiden Leos, whose shooting in a suspected road rage incident on the way to school had caused an outpouring of public grief.
4. A man accused of killing four members of a Canadian Muslim family by running them over in his pickup truck targeted them in an attack motivated by hate, police said.
5. Global law enforcement agencies hacked into an app used by criminals and read millions of encrypted messages, leading to hundreds of arrests of organized crime figures in 18 countries, officials said.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en